Analytical Essay Outline
In writing the Analytical Essay, the student analyzes the content of a piece of literature by examining it and dissecting its various elements and components in order to arrive at a complete understanding of what it is meant to convey: like explaining a poem’s major themes by examining its content and use of language; or looking at a novel’s use of language to explain its meaning, or considering the historical relevance of a short story to better understand its meaning.
The meaning they are trying to illustrate becomes the essay’s Thesis – the argument to be evidenced in the essay’s subsequent paragraphs, explaining what the writer or the text was ultimately trying to say.
Below is elaborate outline designed to illustrate each of the five paragraphs of the Analytical Essay – one that is, perhaps, most appropriate for a writing composition course. In case you have any questions feel free to request assistance from our writing professionals. They are available and ready to help 24/7, so don't hesitate, call us now!
Outline for an Analytical Essay
I. Introduction Paragraph
A. Topic Sentence – organizes the essay’s first paragraph and introduces the essay’s Thesis, acting as a signpost for the essay’s overall argument.
B. Thesis Statement – the paper’s premise that is to be argued or maintained in the essay, generally a sentence or two explaining the meaning of a certain text and the criteria that can be used to analyze it and defend it.
The Analytical Essay’s Body Paragraphs directly follow the Introduction Paragraph and defend the Thesis. For this particular essay, each of the three main points that are to defend the essay’s argument are illustrated in each body paragraph one at a time; each body paragraph (each main, supporting point) marks the various criteria that the student-writer utilized to logically evidence their case for the text’s meaning, purpose, etc.
Each body paragraph should begin with a Transitional Phrase (Firstly, Secondly, Thirdly, Lastly, Next, Subsequently, Furthermore, etc.) indicating to the reader that a new point is being examined or put forth. Examples are appropriately demonstrated below.
Also, before each body paragraph’s main point is being considered and put forth, the student must remember to restate their Essay’s Thesis – but not verbatim as it was stated originally in the Introduction Paragraph – in order to keep the reader focused and reminded of the essay’s original argument.
II. Body Paragraph No. 2
A. Transitional Phrase – First of all, Firstly, To start off with, To begin with
B. Restate Thesis
C. Point No. 1 (The first reason why the student’s Thesis is true)
III. Body Paragraph No. 3
A. Transitional Phrase – Secondly, Next, Then, Furthermore, Also, Moreover
B. Restate Thesis
C. Point No. 2 (The second reason why the student’s Thesis is true)
IV. Body Paragraph No. 4
A. Transitional Phrase – Next, Then, Furthermore, Also, Moreover, Thirdly, Lastly
B. Restate Thesis
C. Point No. 3 (The third and final reason why the student’s Thesis is true)
(More paragraphs can be added to the Body-Paragraph section if another point needs or warrants further illustrating.)
V. Conclusion Paragraph – which ties the essay together to better the reader’s understanding of its argument.
A. Transitional Phrase – Lastly, In conclusion, To sum it up, Ultimately
B. A Summary of the Essay, from the original Thesis Statement to its three main points of support that are illustrated in the body paragraphs.
Still struggling with your essay? Check out our essay writing services!
I started doing my paper, but teacher gave it back and asked me to rewrite. Can you rewrite it for me?
View all questions
Celebrating 10 Years in Business! We offer:
- PhD-level professionals
- On-time delivery guarantee
- Automatic plagiarism check
- 100% authentic or your money back
- Customer information remains strictly confidential
It is time to learn how to write an analytical essay. This type of academic papers is not the easiest one to deal with. You can analyze book, movie, poem or some certain moment in history. The whole world is there to be analyzed. This paper is about critical and objective observation and detailed description of an object. But enough words, let’s learn what is an analytical essay.
What is an Analytical Essay
To learn how to write an analysis essay let’s start with the term. If it sounds unfamiliar to you, just stop worrying. You have met it before in the newspapers and other sources before without realizing that the format is very similar.
GET YOUR PERFECT ANALYTICAL ESSAY RIGHT NOW
This piece of writing should be informative and well-thought. This is an observation of some certain object, topic or even idea. You should divide the main thing into pieces and analyze all aspects of it according to your topic. It can be related to the historic event, literature, a piece of art or process like Water Cycle or Cycle of Sleep.
How to Write an Analytical Essay on a Poem
One of the toughest analytical essay topics is one that relates to poems. Not even the most professional writers are aware of how to write an analytical essay on a poem. Fortunately, our experts are great and have an amazing level of experience in this field. Like in a persuasive essay, you need to analyze, research, and collect data.
This topic requires from you to research the content of a certain poem. You need to explore its structure and style in an explanatory manner. And you aim to make your reader understand how great and significant the poem you are analyzing is. You may take any popular poem and make it your own topic. So, what is an analytical essay on a poem? Yes, it is an analysis of its content on various parameters. Here are few the most significant poems ever written:
- “The New Colossus” by Emma Lazarus
- “Ode on a Grecian Urn” by John Keats
- “The Tiger” by William Blake
- “A Psalm of Life” by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Holy Sonnet 10: Death, Be Not Proud” by John Donne
Analytical Essay Example
Brainstorm Analytical Essay Topics
Here is how you should start your analysis essay. The main thing to start with is to get yourself a nice and winning topic. You need to figure out what you are going to write about. It may sound obvious. This step is crucial if you want to get a better grade and succeed.
The thing is that you have only two ways of how your analysis essay will get a topic. You may get it as a prompt by your teacher, or it can be just a free topic to deal with. Both ways have their strong and weak sides. Your task is to open the topic no matter how did you get it. It is better if the topic is familiar to you or you are passionate about it. Here are few interesting topics suggestions on various subjects.
Topics to suggest
- Sports and drug use. Analyze the reason athletes use drugs.
- Graffiti. Why is it considered art?
- Multiculturalism in the modern society. Explore its significance.
- Analyze body size and fashion. Is it important for models to be the slim or free size?
- Gender roles. Why are gender roles changing?
- Families with one parent. Is there any effect on kids?
- Differences between men and women friendship and relationships.
- Career or family life. Is it possible to have a balance?
- Child-free families. Is it selfish for a couple to have no children?
- Music and health. Is there any effect of music on human health?
- Analyze the main character of Romeo and Juliet.
- Describe the main event in the book “Lord of Rings”.
- Write about cultural impact the book has on the modern society.
- Tell if there is any influence of author’s background on his work.
- Write an analysis of the style poets of XX century used in their works.
- Do horror movies and comics influence human brain?
- Tell why it is important to have limitations for children on TV and in movies.
- Describe true events a movie is based on.
- Tell more about the novel your favorite movie is based on.
- Describe a perfect Christmas movie.
Create an Analytical Essay Thesis
There are two main things you need to learn about analytical essay thesis.
- The main goal of analysis essay is to prove your own point of view as a writer. You need to do a research and link the information together to make a certain statement. Your decision is the thing you need to present your reader through the analytical way. And this decision is called thesis. You should not get any personal features like in a reflective essay. If you are talking about some certain fact in history, you need to get main reasons that caused to that event.
- Your thesis is not just a simple question with a one-word answer. It is a complex sentence and statement that requires certain reaction and similar complex answer. The number of factors in that statement can be huge. It can be very controversial. It should hit the target.
Create an Analytical Essay Outline
One of the most interesting and tough tasks is to create the structure of your future analysis essay. It is called an outline. This step is very important and will help you to deal with the entire paper properly. It doesn’t matter how many paragraphs you have in your paper. Analytical essay outline mainly deals with the topic and thesis statement.
Analytical Essay Introduction
If one wants to learn how to write an analytical essay introduction, he needs to get some background info for his text. It should have a hook to get your reader interested. Or you can use any other way. Just make your Introduction effective. The information you present in your intro should be relevant to your thesis statement. Here is a default Introduction structure for analysis essay:
- Brief introduction or a hook to engage your reader
- Brief background information about the topic
- Slight transition (Use just one sentence)
- Thesis statement
The Body of your analysis essay is the biggest and the main part. Its goal is to prove your thesis statement you’ve presented in the Introduction. Divide your thesis into certain parts and write an individual paragraph for each part. If you are talking about human evolution, you should devise your thing into stages and create a paragraph for each one. You may start with the most ancient period and write about each significant change in human evolution. Here is the proper structure:
- Introduce your main topic with just one or two sentences. It should up to the point and effective.
- Describe your main evidence and tell how it supports your thesis statement. Here you should go just with one or two sentences. Some authors consider this paragraph to be the most important of the entire paper. It will give your reader the feel of how do you understand the topic. These sentences should be creative and effective in the most interesting way.
- Any essay of this type needs supporting evidence. In this part, you will demonstrate to your reader how well you did your research. The entire paper is based on the evidence that you’ve found. Make a nice transition between this part and the previous one.
- It is time to write some conclusion before the main conclusion part. After any strong evidence, you need to get the job done by adding a concluding sentence and describe the significance of the entire topic.
Your Body should be clear and effective. With just a few sentences you need to show the reader your point of view and explain the thing he might never hear before. And if the person can’t understand your point of view, it means you made some mistakes in your text.
ORDER ANALYTICAL ESSAY OF THE HIGHEST QUALITY
How to Write a Conclusion for an Analytical Essay
And the last part of our guide is on how to write a Conclusion for an analytical essay. One needs to understand that Conclusion has a role that is very important to the entire effect your paper has on your reader. This is your last try to make an impression or improve it after the entire paper was read.
You need to restate your thesis statement and make a summary of your supporting evidence. And the last shot will be the ending concluding the sentence. Make a sound like a statement. You may tell your reader what you have learned from your own paper. Here is a default structure:
- Thesis statement rephrasing
- Summarize main evidence
- Main concluding statement
Learn How to Write an Analytical Essay from Our Experts
If you still have questions on how to write an analytical essay or is seeking for any other type of help, our experts are always glad to give a helping hand. Just order any academic paper you are struggling with and accept the most effective help you can find.