Sitting and previous MLAs from Kanakapura Assembly ConstituencyBelow is the list of winners and runners-up in the Kanakapura assembly elections conducted so far.
|Year||A C No.||Constituency Name||Category||Winner||Gender||Party||Votes||Runner Up||Gender||Party||Votes|
|2013||184||Kanakapura||GEN||D.K. Shivajgumar||M||INC||100007||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JD(S)||68583|
|2004||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JD(S)||52740||Narayana Gowda||M||INC||43791|
|1999||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JD(U)||48164||Narayana Gowda||M||JD(S)||24436|
|1994||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JD||68561||K.T. Channabasavegowda||M||INC||19559|
|1989||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JD||36614||Marilinge Gowda||M||INC||32245|
|1985||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JNP||53669||M. V. Rajashekaran||M||INC||26534|
|1983||91||Kanakapura||GEN||P.G.R. Sindhia||M||JNP||37467||C. Appaji||M||INC||24603|
|1978||91||Kanakapura||GEN||Appaji C.||M||INC(I)||30883||Srinivasa Murthy K.G||M||JNP||27590|
|1972||85||Kanakapura||GEN||S. Kariyappa||M||INC||25121||K. G. Srinivasmurthy||M||NCO||12517|
|1967||85||Kanakapura||GEN||K. G. Thimmegowda||M||INC||20115||S. Kariappa||M||IND||16539|
|1962||179||Kanakapura||GEN||S. Kariyappa||M||IND||21085||K. G. Thimme Gowda||M||INC||19492|
|1957||150||Kanakapura||GEN||M. Linge Gowda||M||PSP||15624||K. G. Thimme Gowda||M||INC||11459|
Last Updated on April 28, 2014
• D.K.Shivakumar, born to Sri Kempegowda and Smt Gowramma of Dodda Alahalli village in Kanakapura taluk, had inherited leadership qualities from his Father. At ...the young age of 18, he become a member of National Student Union of India [ NSUI] the student wing of Indian National Congress and soon became its District President of Bangalore District [ 1981-83]
• He was a student leader while at R.C. College in Bangalore. Later he inducted into Youth Congress and became General Secretary of Karnataka State Youth Congress committee [1983-1985]. As the President of Bangalore rural district Youth congress, he had organized several blood donation camps, Free Medical Checkup camps at remote rural places in Kanakapura taluk.
• At the young age of 23, DKS was chosen by the Congress party to contest against the mighty H D Devegowda, the then powerful Janatha party leader and Minister at Sathanur and lost by a narrow margin. In 1987, he has been elected to Bangalore Rural Zilla Panchayat and served as its member till 1989. In 1989, the Congress has again choose him to contest as Congress candidate from Sathanur which he has won with a thumping margin.
• In 1991, when the Sri Veerendra Patil was to step down as Chief Minister due to his ill health, DKS played a prominent role in getting Sri S Bangarappa elected as successor to Sri Veerendra Patil. DKS was rewarded by Sri S Bangarappa with a Minister berth[Minister of State for Prisons, Home guards] [1991-1992].
• He withstood a political conspiracy hatched by his political rivals in the Congress Party and he was denied a congress ticket in 1989 and contested as an Independent from Sathanur assembly constituency. He was successful in re elected as MLA.
• Despite being an Independent MLA, DKS was instrumental in convincing Sri S M Krishna who had by then went to political oblivion and made him to contest as Congress nominee for Rajya sabha seat. It was when the JDS was ruling the state and Shivakumar’s arch rival Sri Devegowda was the Chief Minister. Krishna got elected at the first place, despite less number of congress voters. It was rumoured that even Devegowda as JDS chief Minister defied his party whip and voted in favour of Sri S M Krishna. S M Krishna victory was till today termed as the result of well planned political strategy by the Congress party and the credit has to go to none other Sri DKS.
• When Sri S M Krishna was choosen to head the Congress party during 1999 elections, DKS stood as a solid rock behind him and worked for the party success in the assembly polls When Krishna blow the Panchajanya [ the mythological mouth-blower instrument Lord Krishna used to encourage his entourage before the famous Mahabharatha war] it was DKS who organized the event which is now a part of History. As a result, Congress returned to power winning over 139 seats.
• Again in 1999, he was given the ticket to contest from Sathanur Assembly constituency against Sri H D Kumara Swamy, son of Sri H D Devegowda, Janathadal supremo and former Prime Minister of India. On his successful election for the third time in a row, he became a Cabinet Minister in charge of Co- Operation fortfolio in S.M.Krishna Government [ 1999-2002].
• Again in 2002, DKS was made the cabinet Minister in charge of Urban Development Ministry and also became the Chairman of Karnataka State Town Planning Board. As the Chairman of Cabinet subcommittee, he played a prominent role in formulating and initiating Rajiv Gandhi Yuva Shakthi Sanghatan, empowering the youths to take up rural development and social work.
• 2004 he was elected MLA for the fourth time from the same Sathanur constituency. As the Congress party was fell short of majority and could not form the Government on it s own, it has to relay upon the support of Janathadal to keep the communal BJP away from power. But in the deal that struck between Devegowda and Congress leaders, DKS was refused a Ministership in the first ever JDS- Congress coalition government that came into existence.
• [In fact, keeping DKS out of cabinet was the only demand made by Sri Devegowda during the negotiations]. But DKS swallowed the insult done to him in the sole interest of the Congress party and continued to work for the Congress party.
• He has shown his exemplary qualities of leadership and strategic behavior when the Vilas Rao Deshmukh Government in Maharastra was shaking when there was a dispute between two coalition partners Congress and the National Congress party [ NCP]. When BJP was trying to remove the Government, Congress President Smt. Sonia Gandhi, through Smt Ambika Soni, asked DKS to see that all Congress legislators were shifted away from Maharastra in an apparent effort to keep them united. Accordingly DKS arranged a special chartered plane to bring all the congress legislators to Bangalore where they were kept for couple of days till the crisis was blown over. The timely intervention by DKS saved the situation for Sri Vilas Rao Deshmukh who continued as the Chief Minister till the completion of the term.
• In 2004, while Sri S M Krishna was ignored in the cabinet making and Sri Dharam Singh was choosen as Congress Chief Minister in the coalition Government, DKS played a prominent role in convincing the party High command to provide him an alternate position. Subsequently, Sri Krishna has been made the Governor of Maharastra.
• Again when Sri Krishna wanted to step down as the Governor[ 2006] DKS persuaded him to come back to Karnataka politics and made a Member of Rajyasabha. Later on Sri Krishna became the Union Minister for foreign affairs, the prestigious post he was handling till recently.
• DKS has the rare distinction of being the first ever Indian Legislator who has introduced the Video conferencing facility at his assembly constituency Kanakapura. The facility installed at Sathanur and Kanakapura gave direct access to the Legislator who can interact face to face with his voters sitting at Bangalore. The system proved successful and popular, as it saved lot of money and time for both. India Today has written an article in its issue dated April 17, 2006 highlighting the rare feat by an Indian Legislator.
• It was DKS who inspired and inducted Kum.Ramya, a shining star of Kannada film world into Youth Congress at a function organized at Bangalore Palace a year ago. Within the short span, Ramya win over the hearts of her voters in Mandya district and won with a thumping majority as congress MP in the recently held by polls.
• DKS charitable Institute Trust, chaired by DKS has under taken an ambitious scheme of providing pure drinking water to the citizens through automated water wending machine at a meager cost of Re 1 per 10 litres of water. Over 40 water treatment plants where the water is purified in three different techniques have been installed and RO processed Drinking water is being supplied to the villagers which is keeping them away from water borne diseases.See More