Advantages of online shopping
Due to rapid growth of technology, business organizations have switched over from the traditional method of selling goods to electronic method of selling goods. Business organizations use internet as a main vehicle to conduct commercial transactions.
Advantages of Online Shopping
Online stores do not have space constraints and a wide variety of products can be displayed on websites. It helps the analytical buyers to purchase a product after a good search.
1. Convenience of online shopping
Customers can purchase items from the comfort of their own homes or work place. Shopping is made easier and convenient for the customer through internet. It is also easy to cancel the transactions.
The following table depicts the factors which motivate the online shoppers to buy products online.
Top 6 reasons given by shoppers in buying through internet
- Saves time and efforts.
- Convenience of Shopping at home.
- Wide variety / range of products are available.
- Good discounts / lower prices.
- Get detailed information of the product.
- We can compare various models / brands.
Source: I-Cube 2006, a syndicated product of IMRB International.
2. No pressure shopping
Generally, in physical stores, the sales representatives try to influence the buyers to buy the product. There can be some kind of pressure, whereas the customers are not pressurized in any way in online stores.
3. Online shopping saves time
Customers do not have to stand in queues in cash counters to pay for the products that have been purchased by them. They can shop from their home or work place and do not have to spend time traveling. The customers can also look for the products that are required by them by entering the key words or using search engines.
Companies display the whole range of products offered by them to attract customers with different tastes and needs. This enables the buyers to choose from a variety of models after comparing the finish, features and price of the products on display, Sometimes, price comparisons are also available online.
5. Availability of online shop
The mall is open on 365 x 24 x 7. So, time does not act as a barrier, wherever the vendor and buyers are.
6. Online tracking
Online consumers can track the order status and delivery status tracking of shipping is also available.
7. Online shopping saves money
To attract customers to shop online, e-tailers and marketers offer discounts to the customers. Due to elimination of maintenance, real-estate cost, the retailers are able to sell the products with attractive discounts through online. Sometimes, large online shopping sites offer store comparison.
Disadvantages of online shopping
Disadvantages of Online Shopping
Ease of use is the prime reason that drives the success of e-commerce. Though internet provides a quick and easy way to purchase a product, some people prefer to use this technology only in a limited way. They regard internet as a means for gathering more information about a product before buying it in a shop. Some people also fear that they might get addicted to online shopping.
The major disadvantages of online shopping are as follows.
1. Delay in delivery
Long duration and lack of proper inventory management result in delays in shipment. Though the duration of selecting, buying and paying for an online product may not take more than 15 minutes; the delivery of the product to customer’ s doorstep takes about 1-3 weeks. This frustrates the customer and prevents them from shopping online.
2. Lack of significant discounts in online shops
Physical stores offer discounts to customers and attract them so this makes it difficult for e-tailers to compete with the offline platforms.
3. Lack of touch and feel of merchandise in online shopping
Lack of touch-feel-try creates concerns over the quality of the product on offer. Online shopping is not quite suitable for clothes as the customers cannot try them on.
4. Lack of interactivity in online shopping
Physical stores allow price negotiations between buyers and the seller. The show room sales attendant representatives provide personal attention to customers and help them in purchasing goods. Certain online shopping mart offers service to talk to a sales representative,
5. Lack of shopping experience
The traditional shopping exercise provides lot of fun in the form of show-room atmosphere, smart sales attendants, scent and sounds that cannot be experienced through a website. Indians generally enjoy shopping. Consumers look forward to it as an opportunity to go out and shop.
6. Lack of close examination in online shopping
A customer has to buy a product without seeing actually how it looks like. Customers may click and buy some product that is not really required by them. The electronic images of a product are sometimes misleading. The colour, appearance in real may not match with the electronic images.
People like to visit physical stores and prefer to have close examination of good, though it consumes time. The electronic images vary from physical appearance when people buy goods based on electronic images.
7. Frauds in online shopping
Sometimes, there is disappearance of shopping site itself. In addition to above, the online payments are not much secured. So, it is essential for e-marketers and retailers to pay attention to this issue to boost the growth of e-commerce. The rate of cyber crimes has been increasing and customers’ credit card details and bank details have been misused which raise privacy issues.
Customers have to be careful in revealing their personal information. Some of the e-tailers are unreliable.
The disadvantages of online shopping will not hinder its growth, Online shopping helped businesses to recover from the recession.
Merchants should pay attention to the stumbling blocks and ensure secure payment system to make online shopping effective, The following advice may be followed by the E-merchants and by the online shoppers.
Your Opinion Matters
People love shopping online. And not just in Canada. Consumers from all over the world flock to the internet to make purchases. It’s become a much easier way to shop considering that it doesn’t even require you to leave your house! Do you allow your customers to buy from you online? The UK-based A Great Place To Be blog outlines a number of reasons why online shopping is so popular. Let’s check them out.
1. They can search for exactly what they want. When shoppers go online to shop, it makes the entire browsing process a whole lot simpler. Imagine being able to punch in the name of a product or brand into the air while you’re shopping at a physical location. It’s just easier to do that on a computer or smart phone, isn’t it? People look for what they want, find it and buy it. Online shopping makes searching for what you want so much easier.
2. No crowds or queues. Maybe the most obvious benefit to online shopping is the fact that it allows people to avoid long lines and crowds. When you allow your customers to shop online, you’re providing them with quite the convenience. They are also able to avoid having to look for parking and then making the sometimes-embarrassing “where’s my car?” search once the shopping excursion is done.
3. Shopping convenience. When consumers are able to shop online, they don’t have to worry about store hours. The activity is literally a 24/7 affair. The A Great Place To Be blog also points out that “social media and e-newsletters make it possible to target relevant communication to your customers around the times when they’re most likely to buy – paydays, lunchtimes, after work, after the morning school run for example.”
4. It is easy to compare prices and reviews. People don’t just go online to shop. They go online to make comparisons between the various places that they can potentially buy from. Going from one physical store to the next can be a tiring process. Jumping from one brand to the next via the internet is easy and painless. Give your customers an incentive to jump towards your brand online!
5. They can shop further afield. You know that the A Great Place To Be blog is British when it uses the word “afield”. For our Canadian readers, our friends from the UK are simply letting us know that online shopping allows you to make purchases from much further away. In other words, the internet allows Canadians to buy from stores in the United States and…well, the UK! Basically, you can shop anywhere in the world.
As you can imagine, most online shopping requires the use of a credit card. When your store accepts credit cards, it opens itself up to a whole new world of possibilities. Literally! Allow for people from all over the world to shop at your store. Accept credit cards, set up your website to allow for purchases to be made and you’re introducing yourself to an entirely new revenue stream.
If you’re not yet accepting credit cards, allowing your customers to shop online is going to be tricky. Canadian POS Corporation can help you. We provide top-notch POS terminals and offer the most affordable rates in our industry. Even if you already accept credit cards with another provider, we can set you up with an upgrade in an little as three days. Simply call us at 1-877-748-2884 today!